Respect Life meetings are on the 3rd Tues. of each month except for August when we will take "vacation." The dates are:
Dedicated to preserving life from conception to the time of natural death. Members are involved in prayer, political action, education and support of life affirming ministries.
What is the Spiritual Adoption Program?
The Spiritual Adoption Program is a program for the entire parish community to prayerfully support unborn babies at risk for being aborted and their distressed parents.Individuals and/or families spiritually adopt one unborn baby and make a commitment for nine months to pray daily that this baby will be carried to term and experience the fullness of God's gift of life.
Why do we need a Spiritual Adoption Program?
Since abortion was legalized in 1973, almost 50 million abortions are reported to have taken place in the U.S. Now, increased access to and use of non-surgical abortion methods (RU-486) intensifies the threat to life for the unborn.
This quiet assault on the youngest and most vulnerable human beings is robust in our own communities. In
- About 1 in 3 pregnancies ended by abortion.
- More than 50% of abortions were performed on women who had had a previous abortion.
- About 90% of abortions were performed on babies who were alive in their mothers' wombs less than 12 weeks.
How do I get involved?
You can spiritually adopt an unborn child by completing a pledge card for the Spiritual Adoption Program. Pledge cards will be available the weekend of September 12th and 13th. Respect Life volunteers will collect these after all Masses. If you make a pledge later, you can leave the cards in the Respect Life mailbox. You can also do Spiritual Adoption on your own anytime during the year by making a solemn commitment to prayer for nine months for an unborn baby.
Your responsibility in the Spiritual Adoption Program is to recite a short prayer daily for your adopted unborn child and the parents. The prayer is on the pledge card portion that you keep. Although not required, you may also offer additional prayers or sacrifices for the intent of the baby and parents.
What if I forget to pray?
If you forget to pray for a short period, resume daily prayer and extend the nine month period by the number of days missed. If your commitment is interrupted for a long time (e.g. a month), then you should renew your pledge by beginning a new nine month commitment and try to keep it.
One child should be spiritually adopted at a time. Additional children may be adopted, one at a time, when the current commitment is completed.
Some of the things we do, you may like to do! It could just be one of the following:
- Join us in prayer at the First Friday All Night Vigil for Life. We start by attending 8p.m. Mass and pray until 10p.m.
- Help at the Life Center on Deer Park Avenue, with monthly mailings, preparing layettes for the babies, picking up or repairing donated articles, or counselor training. Call 1-631-243-2373
- Pray, pray, pray in front of the abortion mill.
- Accompany us to Washington D.C. on January 22nd for the Annual March for Life. We leave around 6a.m. after attending Mass and arriving home about midnight.
- Help us educate others by sharing pro-life information with you neighbors, relatives and friends.
- Contact (write, email or call) your Federal and State Legislators about pro-life issues.
- Help at our Mother's Day shower for the Life Center by being at the church door after Mass to collect gifts. we need at least three people for each Mass.
- Support pro-life activities (dances, breakfasts, talks, concerts) throughout Long Island with your valuable time and money.
- Help us with fund raising activities. We need your ideas as well as your time.
Unplanned Pregnancy? Need Someone to Talk To?
There are many organizations that help women who are in crisis pregnancy with all of their needs, FREE OF CHARGE. Maybe you or a person you know may be in need of such help. Below is a list of some of these organizations in our local area:
A-A-A Pregnancy Options
(Life Center of Long Island)
1767 Deer Park Ave.
Deer Park, N.Y. 11729
Call 1-631-243-0066 24 hrs.
Birthright of Nassau-Suffolk, Inc.
533 Main Street
Islip, N.Y. 11751
Call 1-631-277-3888 or 1-800-550-4900 24hrs.
There is also help with post abortion healing and reconciliation. PROJECT RACHEL is an organization that can help the parents of an aborted child to reconcile with God, the Church, their unborn child and finally themselves. For help with post abortion healing and reconciliation call:
Monday thru Friday
For more information on pro-life activities log on to www.ProLifeLI.org
ALL-American Life League-www.all.org